Tarlton Corporation has served as a St. Louis-based general contracting and construction management firm since 1946. We have built strong ties to the region, excellent working relationships with a wide-ranging list of established and new clients, a commitment to project and workforce diversity, and a carefully laid foundation to promote continued growth. Tarlton is a Women's Business Enterprise as certified by the City of St. Louis, State of Missouri and Women's Business Enterprise National Council.
Tarlton is a closely held, client-driven corporation employing an average of 300 people. Our organizational structure is relatively flat so clients and personnel can benefit from continual access to our executives, who take an active role in all Tarlton operations.
Our range of preconstruction and construction services in the commercial, institutional, industrial, life sciences, healthcare and concrete markets is extensive. Tarlton works on projects diverse in scope and size, in both renovation and new construction.
Our philosophy is simple: Take care of the client first and treat others as we would like to be treated. No project is too large or too small if it’s work a client wants completed.
Join our team!
MAJOR GOALS AND PURPOSE
The Project Engineer/ Self Perform Estimator will partner with Project Management personnel to plan, direct, and coordinate construction activities to ensure a profitable, well-constructed, safe project is delivered. They are responsible for providing accurate and complete estimates for projects based on company historical costs. This individual will maintain a working knowledge of industry-related costs and will develop costing data based on new construction technology, innovations, and market trends. This individual will also establish and maintain contacts with subcontractors, suppliers, architects, and engineers to ensure maximum knowledge and competitiveness of estimates and will provide budgets and lump-sum estimates for the construction of commercial development projects.
- Be familiar with all aspects of project documents and subcontractors' scope of work to effectively understand the project scope.
- Review, submit, and follow-up shop drawing submittals in a timely fashion to ensure conformance to the contract documents and specifications.
- Partner with the superintendent to expedite material deliveries, quality, safety, and cleanliness of project sites.
- Provide oversight of subcontractors to ensure workmanship complies with the project specifications.
- Review project for activities completed and update units completed into tracking software.
- Review progress of schedule, production, and cost with the project team to ensure project milestones are maintained.
- Work with the project team to identify upcoming manpower needs. Help to communicate these needs to the workforce manager to ensure a seamless flow of on-site activities.
- Assist in the coordination of construction activities; monitor and advise project manager of variances in job costs.
- Develop and update the project schedule.
- Review, code, and approve invoices in a timely fashion.
- Prepare quantity take-off for vertical concrete projects. Participate in Corporate estimating activities as assigned.
- Solicit material and equipment quotations and prepare requisitions for approval.
- Complete as-built drawings, O&M's, warranties, etc., for project closeout.
- Assist the Project Manager in the development of the project cash forecast.
- Review and analyze bid documents and evaluate job site conditions.
- Prepare and execute subcontractor and material supplier solicitation, quantity surveys and pricing as applicable to the project scope of work.
- Prepare preliminary project schedule and pre-planning evaluation and project General Conditions costs
- Consult, coordinate, and summarize subcontractors’ and material suppliers’ scopes of work.
- Prepare final bid compilation sheet.
- Coordinate and compile final bid and bid solicitations
- Prepare post-bid information and summary sheets, scope comparison sheets, purchase schedules, and cost book on successful estimates.
- Review estimate, purchase schedule, and cost book with Director, Project Managers, and Engineers.
- Various other duties may be assigned by the company.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment. If required, the employee may be located in a trailer at a job site location, or maintain an office at the owner’s facility
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and stoop or kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
BEHAVIORAL TRAITS, ATTITUDES, AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Must have the ability to make good decisions based on a good analysis of relative factors.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and deal with frustration and job pressures.
- Must have the ability to perform task-oriented functions.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Strong customer orientation.
- Able to organize and manage multiple priorities and meet demanding deadlines.
- Strong team player and work ethic.
- Takes initiative and can work independently with minimal oversight.
PREREQUISITES (i.e., Education, Experience)
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management or Engineering/Architecture related field is preferred.
- One to two years of concrete construction experience is desired.
- One to five years’ experience in Estimating
- Must be able to read and interpret construction drawings and documents.
- General knowledge of construction techniques and industry practices
- Computer training and mathematical background helpful