Hogan & Associates Construction has an immediate opening for a CIVIL/SITEWORK ESTIMATOR.
This position is responsible for accurate cost estimating for the division (bids, estimates, scope changes, work orders, etc.), by evaluating projects, designs and schedules to determine scope of work requirements and potential risks, suggesting cost saving options or improved alternatives,
according to the profitability goals of the division.
- Gather current blueprints, specifications, and related documents.
- Thoroughly evaluate each project to determine and understand scope of work requirements, schedule, and potential risks.
- Prepare division estimates & bids for all site-related work (earthwork, utilities, site concrete and other site-related trades); with appropriate documentation and level of detail.
- Calculate complete takeoff of scope of work.
- Review all estimates & bids (scope, methods, bidding strategy and markups) with Division Director prior to submitting bid.
- Prepare proposed change orders and work orders: scope definition, quantity takeoff and pricing (coordinate with PM to review and submit) .
- Visit the site and assess impact of in-situ conditions on project costs and risks.
- Interpret geotechnical reports to determine requirements for the project.
- Suggest potential cost saving options or improved design alternatives.
- Facilitate a "handoff meeting" with PM's, if awarded the project.
- Work with PM to set up cost codes & budgets for each project.
- Negotiate and track material and supplier prices.
- Build and maintain long-term relationships with key vendors.
- Keep updated price lists of pits/dump sites in regional area for quick reference.
- Support each project throughout its entire duration.
- Prepare all documents in a complete and professional manner.
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent; Civil engineering or construction management degree preferred.
- 5+ years-experience in civil/site estimating; civil, site, engineering, or related experience.
- Requires software proficiency in B2W or HeavyBid, Excel and other Microsoft Office Suite of programs, Blue Beam or other PDF, Cut-Fill takeoff/modeling software; preferred: Trimble Business Center, Planswift or OST.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail required.
- Willingness to express opinion, make suggestions as well as to follow established procedures.
- Ability to read, interpret and understand plans, specifications, and geotechnical reports.
- Able to communicate effectively and professionally with others both verbally and in writing.
- Technical understanding of construction means and methods.
- Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Has the ability to prioritize and organize tasks and follow through to completion.