Program Manager – Los Angeles Area
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Watch this video to learn more about Reading Partners.
The High Level
The Los Angeles Program Manager (PM) is part of a growing team of leaders rallied together to eradicate the early literacy crisis. The Program Manager’s main role is to lead, develop and mobilize a team of AmeriCorps members and volunteers to deliver high-quality, effective one-on-one instruction to our students. Reporting directly to the Deputy Program Director in Los Angeles, the Program Manager manages all aspects of program quality, delivery, and implementation in up to five schools. The Program Manager directs the day-to-day operations of our reading centers, manages internal and external relationships, leads and supports a team of emerging professionals, coaches and supports volunteers, drives processes and strategies to maximize literacy development in our students, and uses data to drive decision-making and progress. Key aspects of the role include community partnership building, family engagement, student progress monitoring, and managing overall expansion work.
The Program Manager is an inspiring team leader, is savvy at the art of managing people and projects, is goal-oriented and is excited by both strategic and on-the-ground work.
What You’ll Do
Coach, manage and train a team of up to 7 Reading Partners AmeriCorps members (program coordinators/regional program coordinators) toward successful program implementation across five schools in Los Angeles and/or Pasadena.
- Ensure that the Reading Partners’ program is implemented and executed with fidelity
- Develop and foster positive relationships with principals and school staff
- Achieve a rating of at least 90% satisfaction from tutors, teachers, and principal partners
- Retain 100% of AmeriCorps members through their term of service
- Collaborate with the entire program team to create and facilitate monthly AmeriCorps member and volunteer trainings
- Be an active participant in all aspects of the program team and regional staff’s teamwork and thought partnering
Manage all aspects of program implementation, including serving as a local literacy program expert, conducting student data analysis and action planning, and fostering school relationships
- Achieve 100% enrollment of students by end of February (40+ students/school)
- Achieve and maintain above 90% attendance for all students enrolled in the program
- Support 85% of students in meeting or exceeding their annual performance goals
- Ensure at least 90% of students are demonstrating growth on school-based assessments, as well as Reading Partners student metrics
- Establish and maintain strong systems of communication with school partners regarding student progress and Reading Partners program implementation
- Support program operations and students in the Los Angeles region as needed
How You’ll Do It
Leadership & Management:
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in coaching, inspiring, and developing emerging professionals toward goals. Demonstrate an ability to provide clear guidance and goals, delegate, and provide growth opportunities while supporting progress along the way. Be able to recruit, hire, onboard, and deliver high-quality training to AmeriCorps members. Provide on-site support to AmeriCorps members and tutors at school sites weekly. Support our national network of Reading Partners Program Managers through biweekly calls, best practice sharing, etc.
Relationship Development & Communication:
- Cultivate strong internal relationships with peers, direct reports, and managers. Possess a strong aptitude for effective communication, remotely and in person, with direct reports, school stakeholders, and other Reading Partners staff. Demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively as an ambassador of Reading Partners externally, specifically with school leaders and staff. Be able to set up strong systems for communication and messaging, tailor communication to audiences, and contextualize messaging. Demonstrate an ability to break down complex topics for a variety of audiences. Employ excellent written communication skills.
- Lead implementation of our organization’s assessment and curriculum and serve as a local subject matter expert on Reading Partners’ curriculum. Ensure high fidelity of the Reading Partners model at all school sites. Possess a high level of knowledge and competency in literacy strategies and behavior management. Demonstrate an ability to assess student performance using observations, to analyze data, and to create subsequent strategies aimed at increasing student achievement. Analyze data and create action plans to improve student results.
- Demonstrate an ability to effectively manage time, balance multiple competing priorities at once, and, above all, and remain adaptable, flexible, and positive while navigating challenges. Anticipate challenges and/or questions, and proactively act to address them. Understand larger strategic priorities and make measurable progress against these larger goals. Show an ability to make quick, sound, and on-the-fly decisions that consider all stakeholders. See the bigger picture and be able to drill down to smaller details and connect the dots.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Have 3+ years working with elementary-aged students in an educational setting
- Have direct management experience of volunteers, interns and/or emerging professionals
- Have experience with literacy assessments, teaching strategies, and student data analysis
- Have access to reliable transportation to travel within a defined geographic region on a daily basis
- Have some flexibility and adaptability in your work schedule, including some night and weekend time
- Have excellent computer skills, including MS Office and database management
- Can prove eligibility to work in the U.S. legally
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- Root your work in our core values
- COVID-19 vaccination is required unless a medical or religious accommodation is requested and approved. Please review our Vaccination Policy.
Bonus points if you:
- Hold a master’s degree in education or a related field
- Have experience working in the launch phase of projects or programs
- Have knowledge of and a connection to the Los Angeles Area elementary education community
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
What We Offer
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position. Pay for this position starts at $62,400 annually.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, 403(b) match option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
The other things you need to know
- Travel : This position travels regularly to school sites across the Los Angeles region.
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role. Please include your salary needs.