Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package with competitive salaries and more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Paid Volunteer time
- Tuition Assistance
- Employee Referral Bonus
Howard S Wright Construction, a Balfour Beatty Company, is seeking an Estimator II to join our team in Portland, Oregon Team. A member of the preconstruction/estimating team who is responsible for independently preparing sections of schematic, design development and construction document estimates including soliciting and evaluating subcontractor bids, and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys, reviewing project plans and specifications for all CSI (Construction Specific Institute) categories of work. May supervise the work of other estimators, intern/co-ops students. Member of preconstruction/estimating team that prepares budgets, estimates, and pre-bid packages for construction projects to be build for clients.
- Performs accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs using company format, detail and coding for some CSI division systems for all levels of project documents (schematic, design development, construction documents).
- Provides information to senior estimators/senior preconstruction managers for the purpose of developing accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions with project management team’s assistance.
- Develops accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions with project management team’s assistance.
- Obtains clarification on plans and specifications from architects and engineers when necessary.
- Solicits and analyzes subcontractor and vendor pricing input when required.
- Attends project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
- Develops unit costs accurately.
- Develops value management skills and learns how to implement cost savings methods.
- Performs technical/plan review when required.
- Considers and understands problems, and identifies appropriate solutions.
- Develops knowledge in building designs, systems and construction materials through available resources.
- Accurately assesses and plans takeoff workload.
- Is extremely proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with particular emphasis on estimating software (e.g. MC2, On-Screen Takeoff, Paydirt, Constructware, and іSqFt).
- Constantly strives to improve individual capabilities, performance and expand knowledge of construction technologies and techniques.
Promote Customer Relations
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations.
- Actively participates in industry, client, and community relations to enhance company image.
Culture, Leadership and Employee Development
- Promotes our Creed. Communicates our vision and purpose through Service, Talent & Choices.
- Serves as a role model and promotes professional behavior.
- Participates in personal career development through on-the-job training, attends preconstructions /operations classroom training programs, participates in software training, seminars and assists in the development of interns / co-ops.
Perform other related duties as needed
- The majority of the work is completed in an office setting at the Division’s main office.
- Periodic meetings at off-site locations may occur.
Education, Experience, and Knowledge
- B.S. in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent work experience with 4 to 7 years of preconstruction and/or operations experience on commercial projects or 8 to 10 years of progressive equivalent work experience in a relate field. Depending upon the project size, scope, and complexity the years of experience may vary.
- Knowledgeable in the majority or all of the following: civil/site construction, foundation and structural systems, miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, interior finishes, exterior building wall systems, mechanical and electrical systems and the costs of these systems.
- Must possess knowledge of exterior building wall systems and interior finish construction systems.
- Must demonstrate expanding knowledge of construction details about miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, radiation protection, and other trades.
- Possess good organizational skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
- Resourceful and diligent in seeking solutions to problems and adapting to new situations.
- Act in a manner of integrity that shows support for the company, its values, and the employees, while maintaining constant focus on meeting/exceeding customer requirements and expectations.
- Demonstrates proficiency using a personal computer (PC) and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software (like MC2), word processing, spread sheets, bid management, online plan rooms and database applications and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.