Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package with competitive salaries and more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Paid Volunteer time
- Tuition Assistance
- Employee Referral Bonus
Howard S Wright Construction, a Balfour Beatty Company is seeking a Senior Estimator to join our team. As a member of the preconstruction team, the Senior Estimator is responsible for preparing budgets, estimates, and pre-bid packages for construction projects to be built for clients under the CM at Risk guaranteed maximum pricing structure. Responsibilities also include working with the project management team in establishing a bidders list, soliciting and evaluating subcontractor proposals and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys and reviewing project plans and specifications for constructability and value engineering in all CSI (Construction Specification Institute) categories of work. Some supervision of other estimators, intern/co-op students, or project engineers.
- Performs accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs using company format, detail and coding for all CSI division systems for all levels of project documents (schematic, design development and, construction documents).
- Develops accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions with the project management team’s assistance.
- Manages multiple projects concurrently with ability to multitask.
- Obtains clarification on plans and specifications from architects and engineers when necessary.
- May assist the project management team in soliciting and analyzing subcontractor and vendor pricing input when required.
- Attends project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
- Develops unit costs accurately.
- Develops and analyzes value management analysis options.
- Performs technical/plan review when required.
- Considers and understands problems, and identifies appropriate solutions.
- Develops knowledge in building designs, systems and construction materials through available resources and use this knowledge in guiding the owner to a viable project.
- Accurately assesses and plans takeoff workload.
- Ensures all data placed in the historical database is accurate.
- May assist in purchasing or buyout duties.
- Participates in Redi-check document review workshops.
- Becomes proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with particular emphasis on estimating software (e.g. MC2, On-Screen Takeoff (OST), Paydirt, Constructware, and іSqFt).
Promote Customer Relations
- Prepares and presents budget presentations to owners and architects.
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations.
Education, Experience, and Knowledge
- B.S. in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent work experience with 7 + years of preconstruction and/or operations experience on commercial construction projects or 10 - 12 years of progressive equivalent work experience in a related field. Depending upon the project size, scope, and complexity the years of experience may vary.
- Knowledgeable in some or all of the following: civil/site construction, foundation and structural systems, interior finishes, exterior wall systems, mechanical and electrical systems and the costs of these systems.
- Must possess knowledge of exterior building wall systems and interior finish construction systems.
- Must demonstrate expanding knowledge of construction details about miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, radiation protection, and other trades.
- Possess good organizational and management skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
- Resourceful and diligent in seeking solutions to problems and adapting to new situations.
- Possess the ability to estimate all aspects of a commercial construction project, assemble into one budget, and present to owners.
- Must be able to view things from an owner’s perspective and present accordingly.
- Must be able to work in and/or organize teams.
- Must be able to operate as a “stand alone” estimator able to handle complete projects if required.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software (like MC2), word processing, spread sheets, bid management, online plan rooms and database applications and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.