Hiring Range: $44,500 - $45,000
The Benefits Specialist is responsible for administration of employee benefits for all HRT employees, per HRT policy.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Manages the daily benefit processing to include enrollments, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, medical and dental insurance, life, accident and disability, pensions, bus passes, etc.
- Responsible for compliance with ACA and works with IT and third-party vendor to prepare all year-end reporting.
- Develops, promotes, and plans for wellness and fitness programs throughout the organization. Coordinates, plans, and facilitates health and fitness activities, programs, and assessments for employees to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Acts as Subject Matter Expert for PeopleSoft HCM Benefits modules. Processes benefit enrollments, changes, and terminations in PS HCM. Maintains tables in PS HCM keeping up to date with current benefit programs offered. Assures that existing and new benefit programs are adaptable to applicable computer and reporting systems as approved by the IT dept.
- Works with consultants and/or HR staff to initiate and coordinate open enrollment.
- Answer a large volume of telephone inquiries within one (1) business day. Answer benefit questions, research specific questions, and respond verbally or in writing as necessary.
- Implements new and approved benefit plans and changes by preparing announcement material, booklets, and other media as well as conducting employee meetings for communicating new plans or changes to employees
- Conducts employee benefit orientations and ensures employee understanding of benefit programs by regularly generating communication and counseling employees/dependents as situations arise.
- Resolves employee complaints related to benefit plans. Handles benefit inquiries and complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution.
- Acts as liaison with various insurance carriers and fosters effective relationships with client representatives. Acts as a resource to employees to ensure their understanding and compliance with benefit and HR policies and regulations. Keeps management advised of potential problem areas and recommends/implements solutions as appropriate.
- Monitors, administers, and communicates with employees matters regarding COBRA, FMLA, ADA, HIPAA and other federal and state laws ensuring compliance.
- Develop, implement, and administer HRT’s wellness programs.
- Assist the Human Resources Specialist and Benefits Administrator as requested.
- Maintain all current HR benefit files.
- Maintains Human Resource Information System records and compiles reports from database as needed.
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS.
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan.
- Prepare and/or coordinate with other departments any documentation required in support of the FTA triennial reviews, drug and alcohol audits, independent audits, state audits, EEO Program audit, etc.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills Essential to Job Functions:
- Must have a thorough knowledge of HRT benefit programs, and maintain extensive knowledge of general benefit information relative to best management practices, technical developments, and current trends. Must be willing to increase technical knowledge and skills in order to maintain effective benefit programs for HRT.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with the public and with employees to exchange and clarify information, to understand the views of others and to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, and gather and analyze information skillfully
- Possess a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation
- Extremely perceptive and capable of communicating and relating to individuals at all levels.
- Possess attention to detail in composing, typing, and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness to ensure quality.
- Ability to work independently and develop realistic action plans, demonstrating initiative and time management skills.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands and able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Skilled in obtaining, verifying, and evaluating general and statistical information.
- Ability to establish and maintain manual and automated records and files.
- Ability to research, compile and organize data and information for reports.
- Experience and understanding of Human Resources management operations and role in an organization.
- Possess extensive knowledge of HRT policies and procedures, rules and regulations and bargaining unit contract.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is required. Basic problem-solving skills associated with software applications is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Microsoft – Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; PeopleSoft HCM
Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect oneself, fellow employees, and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures and policies. Take an active part in reporting unsafe conditions and any hazards within the workplace to their Supervisor, Manager and/or the Safety Department.
Required Experience/Training and/or Education:
Requires any combination of education and/or experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree and three years benefits administration.
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Driver’s License
This position is classified as non-essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require working outside of normal business hours.