Hawkeye Area Community Action Program, Inc. (HACAP) is a diverse, community-focused nonprofit dedicated to empowering and improving the lives of families living with the everyday barriers of poverty.
What we are proud to offer you:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Savings (IPERS and/or 403b) with generous company match
- Paid time off and 9 company paid holidays
- Short Term Disability
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Optional benefits: Flexible Spending, Long Term Disability, Voluntary Life, Voluntary Accident
The Early Head Start, Early Childhood Teacher (ECT) is responsible for planning, implementing, and maintaining a nurturing and supportive early childhood educational experience for participating children and families. The position oversees the daily implementation of all Head Start standards in the educational classroom operation.
SCHEDULE AND WAGE
Monday-Friday 7:00 am - 3:00 pm; Full Day/Extended Year;
Wage is $20.70 - $23.08 hourly depending on education and experience.
*This position is eligible for a $1200 retention incentive after successfully completing 180 days of employment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure compliance, program records, and documentation required for HACAP programs, child-care licensing regulations, CACFP, Head Start Performance Standards, Head Start Act and funding requirements.
- Assist and follow site procedures for maintenance of a safe, positive, and nurturing physical and emotional environment in the center and classroom.
- Provide for the educational developmental needs of the individual child, and the classroom as a whole, according to mandated performance standards and established service plans and curriculum.
- Plan and carry out daily lesson plans in keeping with HACAP program requirements and Head Start Performance Standards, Head Start Act, CLASS dimensions, developmentally appropriate practices, component plans, children's interests, and individual goals and strategies.
- Plan and coordinate the classroom day for the most effective use of classroom staff and volunteers working in the classroom.
- Establish clear classroom rules and guidelines and apply them consistently, appropriately, and calmly.
- Submit reports and records in a timely manner.
- Support and contribute to the child study team and other service coordination efforts, implementing team plans, and other recommendations for classroom services.
- Effectively communicate with parents on an ongoing basis through formal and informal communications.
- Advocate for families in the program and encourage their participation.
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with each family.
- Coordinate and attend parent committee meetings as applicable.
- Inform the supervisor or support staff of issues, which may affect program or agency compliance or image.
- Participate in program assessments.
- Maintain clean and sanitary classroom, kitchen, bathroom, outdoor play area, and entryway area utilized by children and their families before, during, and after class as needed. Follow established maintenance requirements of the Head Start Early Head Start program.
- Work cooperatively with the center/classroom staff in program implementation.
- Perform any or all other classroom duties as required by program, funding, and CACFP regulations as needed.
- Current State of Iowa Early Childhood Teacher License
- AA in Early Childhood Education
- Detail orientated
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to use good judgment
- Ability to work effectively with age-appropriate activities in the classroom and relate with children in a positive way
- Ability to read, comprehend, and implement procedures.
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Ability to relate to low-income people
- Receive clearance by the Iowa Department of Human Services on child abuse and criminal checks prior to hire and resubmit every two (2) years.
- Pass a pre-employment health examination and subsequent health examinations every two (2) years thereafter.