Hawkeye Area Community Action Program, Inc. (HACAP) is a diverse, community-focused nonprofit dedicated to empowering and improving the lives of families living with the everyday barriers of poverty.
What we are proud to offer you:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Savings (IPERS and/or 403b) with generous company match
- Paid time off and 9 company paid holidays
- Short Term Disability
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Optional benefits: Flexible Spending, Long Term Disability, Voluntary Life, Voluntary Accident
The Cook/Classroom Aid is responsible for food preparation for the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) and support the classroom in the absence of assigned staff in maintaining a nurturing and supportive educational program for participating children.
WAGE AND SCHEDULE
Wage is $15.53 hourly.
Schedule is Monday-Friday 7:45 am - 3:45 pm; School Day/School Year
*This position is eligible for a $1200 retention incentive after successfully completing 180 days of employment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Take direction and work cooperatively with center/classroom staff to assist with center operations and compliance.
- Follow program, center and classroom procedures for health and safety.
- Ensure compliance, program records and documentation required for HACAP programs, child-care licensing regulations, CACFP, Head Start Performance Standards, Head Start Act and funding requirements.
- Assist and follow site procedures for maintenance of a safe, positive and nurturing physical and emotional environment in the center and classroom.
- Follows Food Service Establishment Food Codes, CACFP and DHS standards and HACAP policies and procedures regarding the maintenance of a sanitary and organized kitchen, including food storage procedures, and health, sanitation and safety practices in the preparation of food.
- Is responsible for food preparation according to provided menus, including special diets, using standardized recipes and quantity cooking techniques as well as commercially prepared foods.
- Is responsible for ensuring that meal times are observed with food being served on time and at the proper temperature.
- Follows the menu change approval process and makes appropriate documentation.
- Is responsible for the accuracy and promptness of all required reports and records as assigned, including daily production forms and on-going inventory.
- Shares in the responsibility of food requisitioning and the purchasing process.
- Receives deliveries and reconciles delivery invoices.
- Assist in carrying out daily lesson plans in keeping with HACAP program requirements.
- Follow daily plans and classroom routine.
- Inform Site Supervisor of center issues, which may affect program or agency compliance or image.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or a GED.
- One year food service experience.
- Ability to read, comprehend and implement procedures.
- Ability to use good judgment
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Ability to relate to low-income people
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively with age appropriate activities in the classroom and relate with children in a positive way
- Detail orientated
- Receive clearance by the Iowa Department of Human Services on child abuse and criminal checks prior to hire and resubmit every two (2) years.
- Pass a pre-employment health examination and subsequent health examinations every two (2) years thereafter.