Leads, plans, administers, implements, and coordinates the Company's site safety program to reduce or eliminate occupational injuries, illnesses, deaths and liability losses and to ensure the Company is in compliance with state laws and regulations regarding workplace safety and Occupational Safety and Health Administration ("OSHA") rules and regulations.
- Plans, administers, implements, and coordinates the Company's site safety program to control risks and losses.
- Analyzes and classifies risks as to frequency and potential severity, and measures financial impact of risk on Company.
- Identifies and appraises conditions which could produce accidents and financial losses and evaluates potential extent of injuries resulting from accidents.
- Coordinates site safety activities with management to ensure implementation of site safety activities.
- Maintains liaison with outside organizations to assure information exchange and mutual assistance.
- Provides senior management with comprehensive recommendations to improve business operations and site safety performance.
- Serves as trusted advisors to field supervision to assist them in executing the site safety program and adhere to general company safety.
- Devises methods to evaluate site safety programs and conducts/directs site evaluations.
- Attends conferences, seminars, and courses to maintain continued awareness of safety programs.
- Understands and interprets local, state, and federal regulations and statutes relative to environmental safety, employee safety, and Workers' Compensation to ensure the Company is in compliance.
- Counsels employees and others in relation to insurance program activities, benefits, and actions.
- Conducts site inspections and enforces adherence to laws, regulations, or Company policies governing worker health and safety.
- Gathers and maintains accident, injury and other statistics and records.
- Provides safety and loss control training to supervisors and employees.
- Inspects machinery, equipment, and working conditions at construction site to ensure compliance with occupational safety and health regulations, other state and federal regulations governing the construction industry, and/or Company practices and procedures.
- Assists in rehabilitation of workers after accidents/injuries and makes sure they return to work successfully.
- Participates in the investigation of employee accidents, claims, thefts, and property losses and coordinates the preparation of materials and evidence for use in hearing, litigation, and insurance claim cases.
- Champions the incident and injury free culture.
- Works very closely with all division heads, HR and Operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires good oral communication skills to communicate effectively with employees and management.
- Requires the ability to work with others under minimal supervision.
- Must be able to comprehend and follow oral and written instructions and procedures.
- Requires the ability to work in very stressful and dangerous working conditions.
- Must be able to comprehend occupational safety and health regulations, other state and federal regulations governing the construction industry, and Company practices and procedures. Must be able to apply these concepts at the construction site.
- Must be able to use sound judgment, work with others and be a team player.
- Must have at least ten years of experience (or equivalent) in utilities as a safety professional or site superintendent.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of state and federal and loss control regulations, OSHA rules and regulations and general industry safety orders related to workers' compensation and industrial safety.
- Must have sufficient oral skills to communicate effectively with employees and management.
- Must be able to perform mathematical calculations.
- Must have a good understanding of ergonomic principles.
- Must have some knowledge of training methods and techniques.
- Must have computer experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Possesses the character and unquestionable integrity to represent the Company and provide credibility for all work, reports and analysis provided through the Safety Department.
- Has the competencies to provide leadership to a business in a growth mode, is savvy and possesses the business acumen to anticipate uncertainty, manage safety, embrace change and drive sound decision- making throughout the organization.
- Has excellent managerial and supervisory skills; is a mature professional with excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrates significant problem-solving abilities and highly refined analytical skills.
- Works in a proactive manner and is a self-starter who approaches his/her work with a sense of urgency.
- Exhibits excellent written and oral communication skills, both with members of Senior Management and with the newest of hourly employees.
- Must be able to conduct investigations, determine the causes of accidents and initiate corrective action.
- Valid driver's license is required.
- Must meet the company policy requirements of a “qualified driver.”
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION:
- Bachelor’s degree
- An ongoing track record of professional development and continuous education.
- Other applicable designations and certifications that demonstrate competency.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.