Hawkeye Area Community Action Program, Inc. (HACAP) is a diverse, community-focused nonprofit dedicated to empowering and improving the lives of families living with the everyday barriers of poverty.
What we are proud to offer you:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Savings (IPERS and/or 403b) with generous company match
- Paid time off and 9 company paid holidays
- Short Term Disability
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Optional benefits: Flexible Spending, Long Term Disability, Voluntary Life, Voluntary Accident
The Assistant Teacher supports the Teacher in planning, implementing, and maintaining a nurturing and supportive educational program for participating children. The Assistant Teacher is the designated lead Head Start staff person at times during the day when the teacher is not present in the classroom.
WAGE AND SCHEDULE
Wage is $14.12 - $16.44 hourly depending on education and experience
Schedule is Monday-Friday 8:45 am - 5:15 pm; Full Day/Full Year
*This position is eligible for a $1200 retention incentive after successfully completing 180 days of employment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure compliance, program records, and documentation required for HACAP programs, child-care licensing regulations, CACFP, Head Start Performance Standards, Head Start Act, and funding requirements.
- Assist and follow site procedures for maintenance of a safe, positive, and nurturing physical and emotional environment in the center and classroom.
- Provide for the educational developmental needs of the individual child, and the classroom as a whole, according to mandated performance standards and established service plans and curriculum.
- Assist in carrying out daily lesson plans in keeping with HACAP program requirements and Head Start Performance Standards, Head Start Act, CLASS dimensions, developmentally appropriate practices, component plans, promote children's interests, individual goals, and strategies.
- Follow daily plans and classroom routines.
- Assist with lesson planning in keeping with program performance standards; developmentally appropriate practices; component plans; and children’s interests and skill levels that are conducive to learning.
- Facilitate center operations during times when the Teacher is not present.
- Follow the program, center, and classroom procedures for health and safety.
- Advocate for families in the program and encourage their participation.
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with each family.
- Communicate with parents concerning the needs of the children.
- Inform the Teacher and Site Supervisor of center issues, which may affect program or agency compliance or image.
- Clean classroom, kitchen, bathrooms, changing areas, entryway area utilized by children and their families, and the outdoor play area before, during, and after class, as needed.
- Follow established maintenance requirements of Head Start/Early Head Start Site.
- Provide a learning environment that will support children in their cognitive, social, physical, and emotional development.
- Work cooperatively with the center/classroom staff in program implementation.
- Participate in program assessments.
- Perform any or all other classroom duties as required by program, funding, and CACFP regulations as needed.
- AA in Early Childhood Education
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 3 months experience in a child care setting
- Detail orientated
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to use good judgment
- Ability to work effectively with age-appropriate activities in the classroom and relate with children in a positive way
- Ability to read, comprehend, and implement procedures.
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Ability to relate to low-income people
- Receive clearance by the Iowa Department of Human Services on child abuse and criminal checks prior to hire and resubmit every two (2) years.
- Pass a pre-employment health examination and subsequent health examinations every two (2) years thereafter.