Position reports to:
Costume Department Director
FLSA classification status:
$62,400 per year
SEATTLE REP is seeking a Associate Costume Director to join the Costume team. The primary function of the Associate Costume Director is to assist the Costume Director in the daily operations of the Costume Department. This can include providing support with scheduling, purchasing & accounting, rentals, stocking, production-specific needs, Costume Department representation in relevant meetings, management of shop labor and management of supplies/inventory. This position also provides support to the Design Associate as needed, as time/schedule allows.
Seattle Rep is committed to producing the highest quality programming, and we believe that our ability to contribute to excellence in the arts depends on building a community whose members come from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and life experiences.
We are part of a growing movement in theater to ensure inclusion of those who have been excluded historically; focusing particularly on racial and ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities and women, ensuring they are at the decision-making table and reflected in our community.
Seattle Rep collaborates with extraordinary artists to create productions and programs that reflect and elevate the diverse cultures, perspectives, and life experiences of our region.
Theater at the heart of public life
Artistic Vitality, Sustainability, Generous and Inclusive Practices
In Collaboration with Costume Director
- Assist in creating seasonal shop labor and production calendars, to include show-specific budgeting and labor allocation as needed.
- Support in managing the schedules for core-staff and over-hires.
- Support the physical organization and functionality of the workroom, including keeping supplies and inventory properly stocked.
- With the Costume Director & Design Associate, oversee the completion of all made to order, purchased, pulled, and rented costumes & wigs for all productions.
- Attend relevant meetings to the Costume Department, including but not limited to: production meetings, shop meetings, draper/leads meetings, wardrobe meetings, and meetings with Stage Management as needed.
- Attend tech rehearsals and previews as assigned.
- Partner with Costume Director to refine both the Director and Associate positions so that each are using their strengths to maximum effect by co-authoring goals and task flow.
- Assign and oversee projects for the Costume Stock Manager and any other Intern or Apprentice positions within the Costume Department.
- Assist the Costume Director in supporting all Costume Department staff -- this includes identifying staff needs, making recommendations for hiring applicable candidates, and evaluating staff’s abilities and strengths.
- In collaboration with the Costume Director and Finance Department, assist with managing petty cash, purchase orders, and reimbursement requests.
- In support of the Costume Director, assist with managing cost control, keeping all expenses accurately up to date in the Excel spreadsheet.
- Complete the monthly credit card reconciliation request from the Finance Department.
- Support the Design Associate in accurately recording expenses, according to the budgetary allotments per show.
- Assist the Stock Manager and Costume Director in any other collaborative rentals, projects, and/or expenses with other organizations.
- Assist the Costume Director in managing staff hours for payroll and budgeting purposes.
Materials & Supplies Management
- Assist the Design Associate when needed with shopping for show-specific items.
- Maintain basic workroom inventory and supplies as needed, within the approved budget.
- Manage equipment repair and coordinate maintenance when needed.
- In collaboration with the Costume Director, create & seek out more ethical and sustainable vendor relationships.
Additional Department Support
- Assist in implementing OSHA/WSHA/Covid-19 compliance protocols within the workroom.
- Update safety data sheets as needed and distribute that information around the workroom.
- Post/distribute documents, and directly communicate to necessary staff, any information pertaining to daily schedules, current procedures & rules, and pertinent information from meetings.
- In collaboration with the Stock Manager, assist with organizing and maintaining stock on & off site – which includes restocking and culling as needed.
- Proactively engage and implement EDI (Equity, Diversity & Inclusion) practices and attend company-generated EDI meetings and trainings.
- Attend general meetings pertinent to all Seattle Rep staff.
- Actively contribute to a positive work culture, prioritizing trust and respect to promote a productive environment.
- Commitment to racial equity and social justice.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Training or experience in Bookkeeping/Management/Accounting and/or four years’ experience in professional theater production.
- Knowledge of & experience with basic accounting procedures and budgeting
- Ability to lift a minimum of 30lbs, climb stairs, and assist with physical stock management.
- Have a driver’s license and be willing to drive if needed
- Training or experience in Costume Shop management.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and leading a team towards a common goal.
- Familiarity with garment construction, common materials, sewing equipment, and general maintenance needs.
- Strong organizational skills: both mentally, when prioritizing tasks & also physically, keeping the shared workspace clean and orderly.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills -- a strong desire to foster clear and efficient communication.
- Ability to flex within boundaries, a can-do attitude, and a positive approach to problem-solving.
- Ability to be grounded in stressful situations and calm when addressing conflict.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
TO BE CONSIDERED
- Submit a resume detailing your relevant experience and education.
- You must attach a cover letter that tells us about you, your experience, and why you are interested in this position!
- Applicants are reviewed the day after the position closes. The first round of interviews will be tentatively scheduled for early September.
Seattle Rep has a mandatory vaccination policy for all employees, with accommodations for medical and religious exemptions only.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the application process.