Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package with competitive salaries and more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Paid Volunteer time
- Tuition Assistance
- Employee Referral Bonus
The General Superintendent will have the primary responsibility for all field operations, including the coordination of subcontractors’ work. Responsible for all field activities associated with the project, including ultimate responsibility for implementation of Safety/Zero Harm program for the job-site, supervision of all field construction work by subcontractors and self-performed work. Shares responsibility with the project manager for developing the project budget, actively participating in the preconstruction phase, and ensuring that the project is built on time, within budget, and according to company policies and procedures. Manages and mentors superintendents, assistant superintendents and other field personnel. 30 hours of OSHA training once every four years, or maintain STS certification.
- Helps the project manager review and update progress and cost reports, schedules, and requirements for completion on a regular basis.
- Actively participates in development and management of project’s general conditions, construction schedule, project planning/phasing, and buyout strategy during preconstruction.
- Participates in preconstruction planning, when possible, regarding the project schedule and budget. Reviews project estimates and cost control system at the beginning of the project.
- Communicates with subcontractors and employees (along with the project manager) a consistent level of expectations and direction regarding schedules, construction methods, company policies and procedures, permits, sustainability program, quality control and other performance standards. Ensures all employees have relevant safety/loss prevention training for their position.
- Participates in making scopes for subcontracts and pre-bid/post-bid meetings.
- Thoroughly understands project specifications, the contract, and the contract’s general conditions, and confirms that all materials and subcontract work comply with contract documents and quality specifications. Implements programs for EEO, risk management, training, sustainability and quality control.
- Explores and advises the project team on appropriate changes in methods, materials schedules, and procedures. Ensures all materials are properly tested according to specifications and ensures that all test results are properly recorded.
- Ensures that project site and company assets are secure. Communicates individual safety roles, responsibilities and expectations to our clients, Operations staff, subcontractors, vendor and the public that maintains a safe and respectful working environment at all times.
- Manages and documents employee and subcontractor problems or nonperformance (along with the project manager) through mentoring/training, disciplinary action, termination, back charges, or other appropriate actions.
- Reviews and approves all bills for materials and subcontractor requisitions. Confirms that extra charges from subcontractors/suppliers are reasonable and work is correctly executed. Coordinates with project manager for approval on extra charges.
- Facilitates weekly project progress and safety meetings with all subcontractor representatives and coordinates the upcoming week’s work. Partners with Loss Prevention Professionals assigned to the project site. Attends all progress meetings with the owner/architect representatives.
- Keeps owners/architects informed of progress throughout the life of the project.
- Ensures that the project closeout process is finalized to settle all financial obligations, demobilize all resources, and transition the project to the client.
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations.
- Makes presentations to proactively seek new business opportunities through relationships.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Fifteen plus years of commercial construction field experience.
- Seven years of direct supervisory experience.
- Demonstrates proficiency using a personal computer (PC) and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office).
- Demonstrates proficiency using scheduling software.
- Ability to read plans and specs.
- Able to meet minimum driving record requirements.
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.