Institute for Medical Research at the Durham VA Health Care System
Application Development Manager
PI: Dr. Stephen Freedland
The Institute for Medical Research, an affiliate of the Durham VA Health Care System (DVAHCS), seeks to hire an Application Development Manager to supervise the Application Development Team and direct the design and deployment of a variety of applications related to clinical research projects. This position will report to the Data Operations Manager.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be part of a highly productive and dynamic team of researchers working on studies conducted by the Principal Investigator, Dr. Stephen Freedland, and his associates in his cancer research lab. The Application Development Manager oversees the collection and management of large amounts of clinical data and will be expected to learn clinical research methods and clinical presentations of urologic diseases. Applicants must have the ability to: work independently in a fast-paced environment; prioritize and manage the workflow of multiple projects; effectively communicate both orally and in written form; translate clinical specifications to technical requirements; sit for long periods in front of computers; and be fluent in English.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, or another relevant field
- Or a minimum of 10 years’ experience as a full stack developer, data analyst, database programmer, or other relevant work that aligns with the qualifications of this job, will be considered in lieu of education in the computer science field.
- Demonstrated experience leading end-to-end application development
- Intimate familiarity with the best practices, methodologies and/or frameworks associated with the following practices:
- Design of web-based applications
- Software development life cycle
- Database theory and design
- Version control/Source code management
- Minimum of 3 years project management experience, including development of project timelines, requirements gathering, and communication with stakeholders.
- Minimum of 3 years staff management experience, including hiring, staff training and development, reviews, and mentoring.
- Organized and detailed-oriented self-starter with the capacity to deliver on multiple projects simultaneously, manage multiple tasks, and handle changing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to solve problems, troubleshoot, contribute new ideas, meet tight deadlines, and be decisive under pressure
- Ability to perform extensive and thorough quality control processes
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Jira is a plus
Application Development Management
- Oversee application development for clinical research studies, including:
- Development of new frontend products that allow for data capture and management
- Modifications to the backend production schema to prevent redundancies and ensure adherence to best practices for relational database structures
- Migration of study data from legacy applications to new ones
- Apply agile methodology to effectively identify and document user requirements and to deliver valued solutions to users quickly
- Oversee peer reviews and user acceptance testing to ensure quality deliverables
- Manage and delegate new initiatives, feature requests, and bug fixes from management and collaborators according to team priorities
- Resolve development impediments and ensure timely escalation to appropriate staff members, as needed
- Provide input on project decisions related to timelines, feasibility, and other relevant issues working with team leads to make sure work is completed in timely manner for project deadlines to be met
- Oversee creation and maintenance of development documentation and user guides
- Coordinate with research coordinators to ensure all applications adhere to HIPAA and IRB compliance
Supervise Application Development Team
- Distribute and monitor development tasks to Application Development Team based on priorities provided by the Data Operations Manager to ensure adherence to project schedules and deadlines
- Review resumes; screen, interview, and hire candidates; and coordinate onboarding tasks for Developer roles
- Develop and maintain staff training on data systems, development processes, and resources; participate in or lead internal knowledge sharing sessions
- Draft and enforce policies specific to the Application Development Team
- Approve timecards and time-off requests
- Conduct performance reviews, provide ongoing feedback regarding performance and productivity, and recommend salary adjustments, as appropriate
- Develop and coordinate the revision and maintenance of procedural manuals and training materials, as needed
- Use the Jira platform to manage technical workflow according to best practices of Agile software development, including backlog grooming, sprint planning, time estimations, acceptance criteria approvals, and QA workflows
- Conduct Agile ceremonies, including Daily Stand-Ups, Sprint Planning, Retrospectives, and Sprint Reviews and Demos for your team
Collaborate with Team Members
- Work closely with investigators, study staff, and statisticians to understand development priorities and regularly communicate project status
- Coordinate with multiple collaborators around the country to advise on data abstraction, to help in data management, and to facilitate merging of their data with our database systems
- Attend and/or lead kick-off meetings, project meetings, and other ad-hoc meetings
- Work with end users to gather business requirements and develop technical and software solutions to meet research needs
- Communicate with VA technology departments to address/resolve IT needs and problems
- Attend Data Operations Team and Freedland Lab management meetings on a frequent and regular schedule
- Train additional team members, as necessary
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
This is a full-time position based in Durham, North Carolina, and candidates will be asked to relocate to North Carolina upon acceptance of an offer if they are not already local. While the work is generally remote, the employee will be required to attend occasional meetings at the Durham office.
The salary range for this position is $95,000 - $120,000.
IMR offers a competitive benefits package which includes health insurance, a matching 403b retirement savings plan, and paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave. All IMR employees are required to obtain a WOC appointment at the DVAHCS. As a result, the successful candidate must undergo a federal background check and may be subject to a drug test prior to final hiring. IMR employees must reside in the state of North Carolina; applicants who currently live out of state must be willing to relocate or work as a contractor. We do not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Participation in the seasonal influenza and Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Vaccination programs may be requirements for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Workers Without Compensation (WOC).
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled persons and Veterans.
Click here to apply to this position and others directly on the Institute for Medical Research Careers Page!