The Construction Laborer will perform tasks involving physical labor at underground projects for McGuire and Hester. May operate hand and power tools of all types: air hammers, earth tampers, cement mixers, small mechanical hoists, surveying and measuring equipment and a variety of other equipment and instruments. May clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, clean up rubble and debris and remove asbestos, lead and other hazardous waste materials if appropriately trained and certified.
- The individual must be consistently at work on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction, commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals and completes tasks on time or proposes an alternative plan to appropriate person.
- The individual observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Install sewer, water and storm drain pipes using pipe laying machinery and laser guidance equipment.
- Dig ditches or trenches, backfill excavations and compact and level earth to grade specifications using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers and rakes.
- Clean or prepare construction sites to eliminate possible hazards if appropriately trained and certified.
- Control traffic passing near, in and around work zones.
- Tend pumps, compressors and generators to provide power for tools, machinery and equipment.
- Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement and adjustment or machinery, equipment and materials.
- Perform General Physical Activities: perform general physical activities that require considerable use of your arms, legs and moving whole body such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, kneeling, bending and handling materials. This job requires standing, kneeling and bending for long periods of time.
- Handling and Moving Objects: using hands and arms in handling, installing positioning materials and manipulating things.
- Controlling Machines and Processes: use either control mechanisms or direct physical activity to operate machines or processes
- Monitor Progress, Materials or Surroundings: monitoring and reviewing information from materials events or the environment, to detect or assess problems.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable to individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions:
- Static Strength: the ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull and carry objects. Frequently lifts, pushes, pulls or carries 50lbs of weight during work day.
- Trunk Strength: the ability to use your abdominal or lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without giving out or fatiguing.
- Explosive Strength: the ability to use short bursts of muscle force to propel oneself (as in jumping or sprinting) or to throw an object.
- Manual Dexterity: the ability to quickly move your hand, your hands together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate or assemble objects.
- Multi-limb Coordination: the ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing or lying down. Works regularly on uneven surfaces good balance is necessary.
- Flexibility: must have full range of mobility in upper and lower body and should be able to reach overhead and work in other positions including but not limited to stooping, bending over, sitting, kneeling and squatting for extended periods of time.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
$35.00 - $40.00 based on skills, experience and knowledge