1st Shift MIG Welder (Quincy, IL)
About United Alloy:
United Alloy (UA) is the leading brand when to comes to metal fabrication and powder coating. UA produces the highest quality leak-proof metal fuel tanks, reservoirs, skids, frames, chassis, trailers, heavy metal fabrications, and complex weldments. At UA, our culture produces actively engaged people with sustainable results: safety, quality, productivity, and profitability. Each employee acts with a sense of ownership, takes initiative to problem solve, and is committed to the company’s mission, their team, and themselves.
In addition to our ISO 9001:2008 certification, UA has been recognized as a WBENC woman/minority owned business. While we’re proud of these distinctions, one credential stands above all others: our extensive list of long-term satisfied Fortune 500 OEM customers.
Job Description: This position welds fabricated components, per custom or stock specifications, for sale to customers in conjunction with customer quality requirements and United Alloy manufacturing philosophies. Monitoring welding performance and efficiency are essential.
Reports To: Operations Supervisor/Operations Manager
Shift: 1st Shift 4am - 2pm; Monday - Thursday (OT Friday’s when mandatory; Saturday’s will be voluntary only)
Benefits: In addition to excellent starting wages, we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package as well as numerous perks.
- Medical, dental and vision
- Generous PTO and Vacation policy
- 401(k) with company match
- Bonus opportunities
- Paid training
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift available
- Shift premium for 2nd and 3rd shift
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Can set up and weld in 1-2 weld work center(s)
- Welds product using fixturing (if applicable) with minimal supervision
- Utilizes hand tools, fixtures, and clamps for small welding applications
- Can interpret basic elements of a blueprint, including welding symbols
- Can identify types of joints and welds
- Can meet UA weld aesthetic standards per customer specifications
- Can set up and maintain welding machines including changing wire and monitoring gases
- Can successfully perform a tank leak test
- Can monitor and maintain welding consumable and supply stock
- Understands cross check concepts and inspects product according to Inspection Control Plan
- Accurately tags material and product according to WI-0002 Product Identification
- Understands non-conforming process according to SOP-003
- Follows all safety policies and standards
- Maintains work center efficiency of 95%
- Can maintain a high degree of quality, must not have excessive scrap
- Understands and can use basic math principles including: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Accurately and efficiently perform all required PM on equipment
- Able to successfully weld 1st articles and PPAPs
- Capable and willing to train/mentor other welders
- Can make minor repairs to equipment and support equipment
- Recommends and helps implement process improvements
- Inspects own work for quality standards
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required
- The individual must have an exposure to metal fabrication concepts and processes
- Must pass a UAI AWS D1.1 welding test
- The individual must possess a keen sense of attention to detail
- Must possess the ability to operate overhead cranes, tape measure and calipers, basic hand tools and air tools
- Must be able to determine material types and gauges
- Must be able to read and interpret blueprints
- Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move 100 pounds with an assist
- 12 Expected Behaviors of Actively Engaged Person – 100% Responsible, Trustworthy, Team Player, Clear Communicator, Empathy, Humility, Emotional Self-Control, Resolves Conflict Directly, Positive Attitude, Respects Others, Problem Solver, and Agile.
NOTE: Given the nature/size of our product and customer requirements, we require a stringent hiring process to ensure the highest quality product. Qualified candidates must successfully complete: Basic Skills/Measurement Test | Blue Print Reading Test | Hands-On Weld Test including AWS D1.1 Criteria | Pre-Employment Physical
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to stand, sit, walk, bend, twist, stoop, pull, push, assemble, and carry for extended periods of time. Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds regularly, frequently lift or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds with an assist.
Work Environment: Ability to perform in a manufacturing environment that may have high noise levels, dust, chemicals, oil, and grease. Ability to work in an environment that may be either hot, cold or humid.