The Preconstruction Project Manager is the key leader through the entire Pre-Construction process whenever conceptual budgeting, “Design-Build” or “Alternative Project Delivery Methods” are present. This position is in direct contact with owners and owner representatives, on a daily basis, during the pre-construction timeline. Responsibilities will include close coordination with engineers, architects and municipalities. Continuous scheduling, budgeting and managing logistical constraints will be required. The Pre-Construction Project Manager will introduce the McGuire and Hester operations team to the project and be “upstream” of physical construction months and years in advance. This position will serve to integrate our operational project managers, superintendents and field crews in a seamless way.
Reports to: Pre-Construction Manager
- Estimators and take-off engineers to meet proposal and Preconstruction commitments.
- Project Engineers during post-award Preconstruction and Design-Development activities.
We strive to ensure the strength and reputation of our company by supporting the personal and professional development of our employees who in turn provide our clients with outstanding service.
McGuire and Hester’s Core Values
- Safety: We intertwine the safety of our team and the public into everything we do. Zero accidents and injuries is our principal goal.
- Trust: We develop longstanding relationships founded on trust built by sharing our successes and, more importantly, our mistakes as learning opportunities. By tightly combining these learning opportunities with innovation, honesty and problem solving, we are able to achieve the extraordinary.
- Quality: We understand that the quality of our work is our legacy for generations to come; therefore, we are committed to delivering superior value to our clients today.
- Profit: We promote an entrepreneurial spirit that seeks long term profit, not short-term windfalls. The reality is we need lasting financial success to live our other core values.
- Community: We are committed to supporting and improving the communities where we live and work by donating time, resources and financial support. Our ability to positively impact the lives of others is at the heart of each of our core values.
- Recognize positive safety habits and practices; create bids to allow for implementation of best practices that drive site safety and safety compliance.
- Analyze job site conditions for hazards and apply means and methods to ensure worker safety. Alert operations team to special conditions at the Pre-Job Partnering meeting.
- Establish and implement “Best Practices” protocols for Design-Build projects and projects utilizing Alternative Delivery Methods.
- Present deliverables to the client in a complete and organized manner conforming to industry practice and / or guidelines of the owner.
- Coordinate internal Pre-Construction Process and work with Estimating, Operations, Accounting and Safety.
- Facilitate document reviews and advise project team for constructability and value analysis.
- Organize and lead the transition meeting between the project operations team and the preconstruction team.
- Understand and monitor contractual requirements as they relate to labor, subcontractors and other utilization requirements.
- Assist and support the Pre-Construction Manager with the development and implementation of companywide policies and procedures.
- Assist in the general administrative management for estimating as it pertains to Preconstruction Services.
- Manage or delegate and monitor pre and post award Preconstruction sequences.
- Schedule estimating resources with the Pre-Construction Manager, or Group Manager as it relates to needs in all areas.
- Create realistic and detailed schedules for all design, approval, estimating and purchasing activities.
- Participate in weekly meetings with Pre-Construction Manager and staff to review bid, take-off and review schedules.
- Identify, assess, and manage risk.
- Produce increasingly detailed and accurate estimates through all stages of design development including: conceptual narrative, schematic, design development and construction.
- Analyze “Alternative Technical Concepts” for feasibility, constructability, schedule impacts and cost-savings.
- Actively participate in industry groups promoting Design-Build and Alternative Project Delivery Methods.
- Promote McGuire and Hester’s Pre-Construction, project management and construction capabilities to existing and new clients.
- Assist the Pre-Construction Manager to assist with the company marketing program.
- Review and approve Purchase Orders and Subcontracts as required.
- Visit jobs in progress and review job status and related job operations to estimating methods and schedules.
Customer Satisfaction (includes both internal and external customers)
- Engage with clients and / or project owners from project inception, beginning with validation studies and the creation of “Basis of design” parameters through Preconstruction design development.
- Act as a liaison between operations, estimating and design management.
- Manage from a professional capacity, the relationships between clients, owners and other key stakeholders.
- Help foster an efficient, positive, productive work environment.
- Reward and recognize others for their contributions to the company.
- Spend time developing and mentoring others.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Undergraduate degree in construction management, civil engineering or other construction related undergraduate degree preferred or the equivalent in education and experience; DBIA Certification prefered; Interdisciplinary fluency.
Five to Ten years construction estimating and project management experience. Five, or more years’ experience with Design-Build and Alternative Project Delivery Methods, including a full understanding of the Lean Construction principles and processes.
Capable of always establishing and maintaining a collaborative and integrated professional environment and be engaged in LCI trainings, educational courses and help others to establish this culture at McGuire and Hester.
Expected Salary depending on experience and knowledge:
$140,000 - $190,000