We build trust among our communities and our people by cultivating the right team for every job. We are committed to fostering a creative and collaborative culture with a focus on career growth and balance in the workplace.
AP has diligently built a strong foundation of expertise, experience and exceptional results. We continually invest in our talented team by providing the latest tools, technologies and training necessary to stay ahead of the curve. We set our employees up for long-term success through mentorship opportunities and professional growth and advancement for every person in every role.
We recognize the contributions of our team members with unique experiences and capabilities and strive to establish a work environment that maximizes our collective potential. Going beyond the build for our employees lays a strong foundation for success across AP. We commit to a balanced, value-centered work environment for meaningful projects, careers and talent.
Adolfson & Peterson Construction is hiring for an experienced Estimator for projects in our Southwest Region based out of Tempe. This position provides detailed conceptual estimates from pre-construction schematic and design documents and detailed construction estimates from construction plans and specifications for large, diverse, and complex projects and projects over $50 million. Provide functional expertise and regional estimating team leadership.
Because safety is paramount to AP and embedded into everything we do, all team members are responsible for working safely within our Incident and Injury Free culture.
Key Accountabilities of the role include:
- Take personal responsibility for working safely within an Incident and Injury Free (IIF) culture.
- Prepare bids, conceptual cost models, and budgets; perform quantitative analyses of construction documents and project program requirements for projects assigned.
- Lead and oversee the preparation of accurate conceptual cost models, budgets, and guaranteed maximum pricing based on historic cost data and/or subcontractor input as appropriate.
- Review plans, specs, and pricing. Secure pricing from material suppliers. Define take-offs for all scopes of work and complete pricing. Define and assemble accurate General Conditions/General Requirements costs.
- Gather and monitor actual cost versus estimated cost, maintaining project cost history. Organize historical project costs and utilize costs to produce conceptual estimates.
- Establish work scopes for contractors and suppliers.
- Prepare documents for bid day, owner bid docs, insurance/bonding, etc.
- Lead and oversee the preparation of backup documentation.
- Provide consultative guidance on constructability, schedule, phasing, and staffing.
- Understand, analyze, and consult the owner’s proforma process and documents RFP, and/or contract.
- Analyze project program, design, costs, and subcontractor input and provide comparisons, cost savings, value engineering options, and other recommendations.
- Ensure that are budgets and bids are created using company templates, parameters, and established protocols.
- Make recommendations to the buyout and the selection of subcontractors upon notice of award.
- Build and manage subcontractor relationships; facilitate bids and presentations.
- Prepare and present persuasive presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Define major or priority subcontractors. Monitor coverage and solicit new subcontractors while continuously working to improve relationships.
- Partner to develop appropriate subcontractor scopes of work and to determine subcontractor pricing, including information dissemination, review of subcontractor’s proposals, and coordination with the desired scope of work.
- Work with disadvantaged business enterprises (DBE) to meet project requirements.
- Build and facilitate collaborative team processes among project participants (i.e. contractor, owner/developer, design professionals, and subcontractors).
- Foster a productive working atmosphere among project participants and cultivate AP’s relationship with the client.
- Discuss and establish bid/budget estimate pricing strategies, concerns, and advantages with project teams. Distribute work responsibilities to bid team.
- Correspond with design teams and engineers.
- Suggest and participate in procedure and policy changes as well as QC/QA plan.
- Lead bid project closings.
- Network within the market to learn client business models and establish credibility.
- Coach and mentor Estimators and Assistant Estimators.
- Other duties as assigned.
1. History of experience and proven results including:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, architecture, engineering, or related field required and 8+ years of related experience and estimating with projects >$30 million. Experience and familiarity with the A/E/C industry preferred.
- Additional certifications such as DBIA and LEED AP are preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the construction field, building systems, subcontractor specialties, regulatory compliance, and technology.
- Strong office computer skills, including thorough knowledge of Word, Excel, Microsoft Project, and On Center, software
2. Ability to travel to client and project sites as required.
3. Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards.
4. Highly developed skills (listening, influence management, consensus development) paired with outstanding presentation skills. Ability to effectively communicate with diverse audiences.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build successful and lasting relationships.
6. Strong analytical and logic skills with the ability to maintain a high degree of precision on detailed work.
7. Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities; high energy and demonstrated sense of urgency.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus
Adolfson & Peterson Construction’s (AP) ability to adapt and innovate has driven our success for more than 75 years. We are consistently ranked among the top construction managers and general contractors in the nation while maintaining one of the safest records in the industry. We bring positive and measurable change to the communities where we live, work and build. And we invest in new processes and technology to be operationally excellent and remain at the forefront of the ever-changing industry.
We have been committed to quality, innovation, safety and strong relationships since our beginning in 1946. AP offers preconstruction, construction and contracting services to commercial, education, healthcare, hospitality, industrial, multifamily, municipal, data center, and senior living markets with offices across Arizona, Colorado, Minnesota, Texas, and Wyoming. We employ more than 650 team members who strive for excellence and embody loyalty, trust and genuine love for what they do.
We go beyond the build for our communities and our people.
Adolfson & Peterson Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer