Highway Maintenance Worker
Due to a promotion, McCook County is seeking a Highway Maintenance Worker. The Highway Maintenance Worker is responsible for maintaining highways, municipal and rural roads, and rights-of-way in the county highway system to insure the safety and comfort of the traveling public. Duties include patching broken or eroded pavement, repairing guard rails, highway markers, and snow fences. The position may also mow or clear brush from along roads or plow snow from roadways. As this is a highly visible position in the county, professional appearance and demeanor is expected. County Highway Maintenance Workers must maintain positive public relations with the general public and other employees.
A typical day may involve the following:
- Receive assignments daily from either County Highway Superintendent, County Lead Highway Maintenance Worker or County Operations Foreman
- Responsible for and able to maintain roads and other county property by the operation of maintainers, tandem trucks, material spreader, front-end loaders, sweepers, rollers, packers and oil distributer for road maintenance and repair
- Ability to service and make minor repairs to equipment
- Responsible for safe operation and maintenance of all equipment assigned by following safety, departmental and traffic laws or rules
- Install signing and traffic control devices
- Follow safety standards
- Attend ongoing training and safety classes as required
- Ability to maintain necessary records and reports as directed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Valid driver’s license required
- Ability to obtain a Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL) within 180 days of hire required
- Must complete 6 months as a Highway Maintenance Trainee or have at least 2 years of previous experience
- Materials, supplies, methods and tools needed to complete assignments
- Ability to work independently as well as communicate and work effectively in a team setting
- Willingness to participate in on-going continuing education
- Weed spraying certification may be required
- Preferred to live within McCook County and be available to report for work on short notice during emergencies and adverse weather conditions
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Majority of work is performed outdoors, subject to variable weather conditions and the hazards associated with construction sites and public works projects. County Highway Maintenance Worker must have the ability to respond to weather and road related emergencies as needed during nights, holidays and weekends. At the discretion of the Highway Superintendent, schedules can be adjusted for previously scheduled time away. Occasionally lifts and/or moves objects weighing up to 100 pounds such as tools, equipment, supplies, etc. Must be able to access all levels of a construction site, traverse uneven terrain, climb a ladder, and enter and exit from vehicles. Spends most of the day standing or walking. Manually operates all department vehicles, tools and equipment. Communicates verbally and in writing. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
What we will offer you!
- Market competitive wages, based on qualifications and experience
- Health insurance for the employee is 100% PAID
- Dental and Vision insurance
- Participation in the South Dakota Retirement System
- Paid time off (vacation, sick and holiday)
Applications accepted until the position is filled.