Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package with competitive salaries and more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Paid Volunteer time
- Tuition Assistance
- Employee Referral Bonus
Brand & Communications – Graphic Designer
The Graphic Designer is a critical component to the Brand and Communications team. This vital role touches 90% of the work that is produced by the team for a variety of audiences: employees, executives, clients, social media fans, to name a few. The Graphic Designer serves as our visual communicator, translating our culture, message intent and brand aesthetic to each communication deliverable. Each deliverable should help the audience immediately prioritize the message, account for all types of readers in its design and display a clear intent and impact. In this role, the Graphic Designer must influence, partner, collaborate and orchestrate our design resources across the country. The Graphic Designer must be comfortable working with a highly collaborative team juggling daily production work with strategy and concept work. Additionally, the Designer must possess a high degree of professionalism when interfacing with executive leadership team, but not be afraid laugh and have some fun. Each day, the Graphic Designer will be called upon to demonstrate their business acumen through their visual designs. Experience with animation and motion graphics is a significant PLUS!
- Design and propose creative elements for visual purposes for internal and external collateral
- Create layout comps, rough and final presentation materials as requested
- Attend meetings, listen to communication objectives, discern how design can aid in achieving objectives and present creative materials and solutions
- Electronically build, create and assemble various print and digital projects in accordance with brand specifications. This includes, but not limited to data entry and typesetting, image manipulation, art creation or modification
- Electronically build and create various information graphics and visual elements to enhance messaging and convey complex concepts by graphical means for use internally and externally
- Possess the project management prowess to develop and execute all design elements, from initial concept to final delivery (digital and print)
- Provide creative counsel to peers, department teammates, operational colleagues and executive leaders as needed, with confidence and business acumen
- Comfortable designing for mostly digital deliverables. Approximately 90% digital, 10% print
- Track feedback and make corrections and modifications to proofs/comps as required
- Prepare and manage digital assets including importing and maintaining in Digital Asset Management software and Communication network drive
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects), Microsoft Office, web/intranet technology, and other technology necessary to perform graphic support services in a PC based company. Designer will have MAC
- Helpful to have experience in digital tools such as Ceros, MarketDirect Strorefront, Newsweaver, OpenAsset, Poppulo, SnapComm and Templafy
- Has a strong ability to lead, mentor, partner, collaborate with and orchestrate our design resources across the country for key initiatives
- Is able to proofread their own work with a high degree of accuracy re: grammar and punctuation (AP Style)
The majority of work is completed in an office setting with intermittent sitting, standing and walking.
Periodic travel may be required.
- Has a strong eye for aesthetic and visual details that inform the user experience. Understands that graphic design and visual communications goes well beyond well placed stock imagery and formatting copy
- Should be a creative thinker with imaginative skills and a curious learner
- Is a perfectionist at heart and always wishes there was just a few minutes more to work on a project before the deadline hits
- Is a stickler for time management and isn’t shy about holding others accountable to timelines
- Loves to come to work to see what each day will hold that is different from the day before
- Natural collaborator but can self-manage priorities, project approach and work product
- Calm under pressure and always ready with a solution
- Has hobbies and interests outside of work and shares enthusiasm with teammates
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design or a related discipline from an accredited college or university.
- 3-5 years or more equivalent work experience in specific design discipline associated with role, preferably in a corporate communications (B2B) setting.
- Portfolio should demonstrate professional work that highlights creative execution and strong conceptual design skills. Competence using typefaces and layout for both digital and print.
- Knowledge of printing, prepress, digital output. Preflight and packaging of files necessary.
- Able to set and prioritize goals and achieve them as scheduled.
- Is flexible to adjust to rapidly changing requirements and schedules.
- Has an analytical approach to problem solving.
- Works within team setting and takes and implements art direction from team.
- Able to build constructive and effective relationship, put others at ease and establish rapport; relate to all kinds of people at all levels inside and outside the organization.
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.