The Clay County Equalization Office in Vermillion, South Dakota is looking for a full-time Assessor
As an Assessor for the County, you’ll work under the direct supervision of the Director of Equalization and be responsible for performing technical and professional work in establishing real property values for tax assessment purposes.
Position requires a Certified Appraiser Assessor (CAA) designation within 12 months of receiving temporary permit. Upon completion of the certification program and obtaining the CAA Designation, the employee will be placed in the Assessor II classification.
You’ll perform a variety of duties including:
- Identify properties to be appraised by use of legal description, review of building permits and property appraisal records.
- Act as the first point of contact for the public, answering phone calls, and responding to email inquiries.
- Assist in the appraisal of improved and unimproved parcels.
- Process sales/transfers of real property for the South Dakota Department of Revenue Sales Ratio Program.
- Assist in answering off and on-site inquiries concerning assessment values.
- Maintain accurate records, files, and property cards on all properties in taxing jurisdiction.
- Collect field data on all real property in Clay County including mobile homes and help assign value to property.
- Learn and operate the County’s GIS and CAMA Systems.
- Perform other duties and functions as directed by the Director of Equalization.
To be qualified for this position, you’ll need:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certification.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with a safe driving record.
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of geographic layout of Clay County, SD, working knowledge of public records, and property legal descriptions.
In addition, we’re looking for someone who has:
- Previous construction experience and/or a knowledge of appraisal methods and state laws affecting the appraisal of land, building and real property preferred.
- Ability to effectively work with a variety of people, analyze and resolve problems, communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Able to travel to attend required schools, workshops, and conferences to maintain CAA Certification.
- CAA Certified, CAMA system experience, and GIS knowledge preferred, but not necessary.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to frequently sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel, stoop, reach, ride in a vehicle, take measurements, and maneuver construction sites.
- Manual dexterity is needed to type, write, use a calculator, and answer the telephone.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Wages starting at $17.94 DOE. We offer outstanding benefits including health insurance and participation in the South Dakota Retirement Plan.
Clay County is an equal opportunity employer.