McGuire and Hester is a construction company that provides complete site work services: pipelines, grading paving, concrete, landscape and mechanical. In addition to traditional project delivery methods, we are involved with design build projects and alternative delivery methods. McGuire and Hester has played an integral role in the construction of many of Northern California’s most recognizable landmarks and infrastructure projects. Our storied past crosses more than nine decades. Our mission statement is, “Together We Build Things Right” which encompasses our business philosophy as well as our values and culture. We have a team environment that focuses on the greater good, resulting in a fantastic place to work that positively impacts our business partners and community.
A Project Superintendent oversees individual projects to assure the safe construction of a high quality project that is in compliance with the scope as established by the contract documents. This position supervises and directs the activities of project personnel for all construction activities and demonstrates the integrity and dependability of the Company by maintaining positive and continuous communication with customers.
- Actively participate in pre-work meetings with subcontractors to familiarize all subcontractors with the project policies and quality standards.
- Actively participate in pre-work meeting with Foreman and subcontractors to familiarize all with the project schedules, construction methods, company procedures and policies, quality standards and project specific requirements.
- Evaluate shop drawings with PM.
- Participate in the planning, organization and staffing of new projects.
- Develop and implement work schedules for project personnel, equipment, material and subcontractors in order to keep the project on track.
- Actively participate in pre-construction sessions to develop strategies that address unique characteristics of the project budget and/or design.
- Discuss and implement best practices that drive safety on the project; promote Safety Bucks Program. Ensure safety compliance with all predetermined, communicated safety guidelines for all field personnel under your supervision.
- Proactively identify and correct potential safety hazards. Maintain a clean and safe jobsite.
- Report accidents and jobsite incidents to the Safety Officer or Safety Administrator; submit a written Accident Report.
- Ensure the proper safety equipment is inspected, available and used by all field personnel.
- Ensure that the Daily Equipment Logs are completed and turned in to the PM.
- Monitor construction activities for adherence to project documents (i.e. contract specifications, plans, plan revisions, RFI’s and approved material submittals), including subcontractor performance to maintain quality control.
- Maintain quality control and update as-build drawings.
- Maintain accurate, timely and detailed daily log books with documentation photos.
- Recognize installation issues or errors and proactively address them.
- Manage and maintain thorough knowledge of scheduled activities.
- Create current-week and two-week look-ahead schedules that reflect the project baseline schedule and makes sure that upcoming events are on track and are being proactively attended to.
- Review updated baseline schedule to recognize schedule milestones and measure incremental progress during weekly scheduling meetings.
- Ensure daily set-ups in to dispatch on time.
- Keep the company informed of problems and successes occurring on the job.
- Regularly initiate short interval planning with the Foremen and Leadmen to develop strategies in line with the unique characteristics of the project budget.
- Assure the appropriate use, repair and maintenance of project equipment. Coordinate the return of tools or equipment when they are no longer needed.
- Maintain project performance against budget and schedule milestones as informed by the Project Manager.
- Recognize extra work and then ensure proper field documentation of the extra work.
- Prevent re-work by doing the work right the first time.
- Proactively identify and resolve any problems and assure that the client is kept updated about the status of work with regular meetings.
- Communicate and work proactively to address subcontractor issues.
- Develop new and improved techniques through better utilization of manpower, equipment and material and communicate it to the Estimating Department and Area Managers.
- When results are not as expected, take responsibility and make changes to improve the results.
- Maintain good client and business partner relationships
- Spend time developing and mentoring others.
- Reward and recognize others for their contributions to the company.
- Maintain current certifications for CPR/First Aid, OSHA 30, Asbestos Cement Pipe, Harassment Prevention for Supervisors, Competent Person Trenching and Excavation, Confined Space Entry/Rescue and any other training appropriate for the type of work being performed.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Education and Experience: High School Diploma or GED preferred and ten or more years progressively responsible related field experience and technical expertise as a tradesperson plus five or more years of progressively responsible field construction management experience
Language Skills: must be able to read and write in English
Mathematical Skills: basic math and geometry, the ability to calculate volume, area and tonnage
Reasoning Ability: apply common sense understanding to carry out multiple step instructions. Deal with standardized situations with occasional variables
Computer Skills: must be able to learn to use various computer programs
Certificates, Licenses, Registration: CA drivers’ license and a clean driving record
$37.95 - $65.42 per hour based on skills, experience and knowledge