The Derby Fire and Rescue Department has a rare opening for part-time firefighter positions. The ideal candidates will be able to excel in a team atmosphere, will be passionate about training, and have a service mindset.
Preferred Qualifications: Apparatus Operator, Paramedic Certification, Military Experience, and other Firefighting Certificates.
Part-Time Firefighters create their own schedule a month in advance. The required minimum standard is 24 hours of on-duty work per month. Salary rate is dependent on years of service and emergency medical certification.
Preference given to applications received by August 20th 2023.
Details related to the position description are below:
50% Protection of Life and Property
- Respond to fire, medical, and other emergencies.
- Lay and connect hoses to hydrants.
- Operate motor vehicle, fire apparatus, aerial devices, nozzles, pumps, handheld fire extinguishers, and other emergency equipment as needed.
- Operate in immediately dangerous to life and health (IDLH) atmospheres for the protection of life and property.
- Perform rescues and administer basic life support to victims and patients.
- Perform salvage operations during and after fires.
- Provide courtroom testimony when necessary.
30% Training Participation
- Participate in formal and phased intensive training and instruction sessions.
- Participate in department physical fitness program.
- Maintain proper training in order to maintain necessary certifications.
- Inspect buildings and property for possible fire hazards and compliance with adopted fire code.
- Complete annual inspections of buildings, testing and inspection of fire alarm systems, fire suppression systems and fire hydrants and prepare appropriate documentation.
5% Public Education Activities
- Provide fire safety education to public and private schools, daycares, and other locations or organizations as necessary.
- Present fire station tours to the public when necessary.
5% Maintenance and Repair
- Perform daily routine cleaning and maintenance of all fire apparatus and equipment.
- Check all fire apparatus and equipment daily to ensure it is in good working order.
- Return all equipment to good working order after an emergency response.
- Perform daily housekeeping and maintenance of the fire station.
Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed to address business needs.
Roles: This position requires the ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis. Negotiation, persuasion, tact, and diplomacy are essential for effectively performing tasks. The ability to withstand heavy physical activity and respond quickly and logically during stressful situations is required.
Impact: Successful completion of work tasks results in increased safety and community satisfaction and efficient utilization of material and equipment.
Latitude: Most duties are defined and consistent from day to day. Problem-solving is accomplished in conjunction with supervisor. Most decisions are reviewed by others. Must be able to make quick decisions regarding the protection of life and property.
Interaction: This position requires frequent face-to-face interaction with employees throughout the organization and the general public. Frequent interaction with outside agencies including municipal, county, state, and federal agencies is also required.
- High School diploma or equivalent, required.
- Associate degree in Fire Science or equivalent education, training, and experience preferred.
- One year documented experience as a full-time, part-time or volunteer firefighter with an organized fire department, required.
- IFSAC certified Firefighter I, Hazardous Materials Operations, required.
- Minimum of an EMT certification through State of Kansas Board of EMS (KBEMS), required.
- IFSAC certified Firefighter II within two years of hire date, required.
- National Incident Management System 100, 200 and 700 within one year, required.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of methods, principles, and practices of modern firefighting operation and techniques.
- Ability to operate firefighting and life-saving vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to operate office-related equipment, including ability to access, input, and retrieve information from various computer software programs.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis.
- Negotiation, persuasion, tact, and diplomacy are essential for effectively performing tasks.
Physical: Must maintain good physical condition, successfully passing the Derby Fire and Rescue Department Strength and Agility Test as outlined in Derby Fire and Rescue SOP 2.14.1 and able to successfully pass a triennial medical evaluation as outlined in Derby Fire and Rescue SOP 2.15.2. Must be able to wear face masks.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Requirements: Frequent exposure to adverse weather conditions and hazardous situations. Frequent carrying, lifting, moving, or pushing of 50 pounds. Frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and twisting. Exposure to human blood and body fluids, heavy machinery, excessive noise, hazardous chemicals, explosives, radiation, confined areas and heights.