We build trust among our communities and our people by cultivating the right team for every job. We are committed to fostering a creative and collaborative culture with a focus on career growth and balance in the workplace.
AP has diligently built a strong foundation of expertise, experience and exceptional results. We continually invest in our talented team by providing the latest tools, technologies and training necessary to stay ahead of the curve. We set our employees up for long-term success through mentorship opportunities and professional growth and advancement for every person in every role.
We recognize the contributions of our team members with unique experiences and capabilities and strive to establish a work environment that maximizes our collective potential. Going beyond the build for our employees lays a strong foundation for success across AP. We commit to a balanced, value-centered work environment for meaningful projects, careers and talent.
Adolfson & Peterson Construction is hiring for an experienced Director of Pre-Construction and Estimating for our Southwest region based out of Tempe. This position will lead pre-construction and estimating departments including the development of pre-construction strategies on large, complex, and high-risk projects while ensuring alignment with AP’s strategic goals.
Because safety is paramount to AP and embedded into everything we do, all team members are responsible for working safely within our Incident and Injury Free culture.
Key Accountabilities of the role include:
- Think and act strategically to help drive innovation and new business.
- Support company efforts to obtain new work by remaining alert to business opportunities and sharing of information with appropriate company team members.
- Report business development activities and progress to management on a systematic basis.
- Participate in activities to support the company’s strategic planning efforts and/or improve specific business or pre-construction processes.
- Develop and implement comprehensive standard operating procedures for the Pre-Construction Department.
- Strategically lead, manage, and mentor pre-construction department.
- Ensure that preconstruction processes are followed consistent with standard operating procedures as defined in pre-construction manual.
- Proactively manage pre-construction activities on projects involving multiple parties including owners, architects/engineers, authorities having jurisdiction, and Senior Project Managers.
- Develop an environment of accountability to ensure that the department performs consistently with project planning, scope, and budget.
- Manage preparation by support team members of all pre-construction schedules, cost models, milestone estimates, and GMP packages to ensure compliance with contract, schedule, scope, and budget requirements.
- Prepare and/or oversee preparation of conceptual cost models and budgets; perform quantitative analysis of construction documents and project program requirements. Develop strategies for the pursuit and procurement of projects fitting within the accepted market segments reflected in AP’s marketing plan based on a solid understanding of the current market.
- Oversee buyout strategies on awarded projects to ensure proper scope and budget for each project.
- Prepare the order of magnitude cost models and conceptual estimates as required.
- Participate in the identification of differentiating factors concerning approach and design.
- Review contractual requirements to determine scope of work and potential conflicts; communicate potential pitfalls and risk management strategies with assigned Project Management team members.
- Lead, manage, and mentor the estimating department.
- Ensure estimating services are being delivered in accordance with the standard operating procedures of the organization.
- Provide leadership and business judgment in all financial and profitability aspects of projects including appointing a lead estimator and other estimating responsibilities.
- Oversee bid/budget review to ensure accuracy, feasibility, adherence to best in class qualification usage, and maximization of profit.
- Review general and specific conditions pricing, quantity surveys, and take-offs. Confirm that production and cost data is captured correctly.
- Determine what needs to be delivered by the estimating department for proposals and associated timing of it.
- Review item quantities/take-offs, material pricing, labor production analysis, equipment pricing, historical job expenses, and any other cost elements for accuracy.
- Review input data to be used in historical cost database.
- Build and manage subcontractor relationships; facilitate bids and presentations.
- Monitor the buyout plan to ensure subcontracts are being executed in accordance with the project schedule.
- Build and facilitate collaborative team processes among project participants.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the principals at key subcontractors, architectural, and engineering firms for business development purposes.
- Supervise and develop staff by establishing expectations, providing positive and constructive feedback, determining training and development needs, and conducting on-the-job training.
- Collaborate with the marketing department in the development of proposals to ensure all materials are client ready.
- Actively participate in market sector(s) business development efforts in support of the strategic plan.
- Maintain open lines of communication with clients throughout the project life cycle to maintain seamless communication and deliver a consistent message.
- Actively review and exchange information with operations for all current projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- History of progressively more responsible leadership experience and proven results including:
- A Bachelor’s degree in construction management, architecture, engineering, or related field and 10+ years of estimating, cost analysis and control, and/or engineering experience in large (over $60M) industrial construction projects.
- MBA, LEED, DBIA, or other advanced degrees are considered advantageous. PE license strongly preferred by not required.
- 8+ years of experience in complex construction or design-build. Desired project experience includes federal and large-scale general building, healthcare, hospitality, data centers, transportation, water & wastewater, multi-family, detention centers, utilities, and manufacturing.
- Three of more years of at-risk construction experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, project estimating programs and onscreen take-off.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards.
- Experience in complex business strategies as an active participant in driving growth and change and in driving operations and executing plans.
- Ability to identify talent, create and develop teams, and build trust and engagement.
- Capability to identify and capitalize on opportunities quickly; ability to maintain effective balance between strategic and tactical priorities.
- Experience in driving accountability for financial and operational effectiveness, integrating and aligning efforts within teams, monitoring results, and tackling problems directly.
- Experience cultivating an active network of relationships, driving collaboration and alignment, relating well to key colleagues, and connecting with employees at all levels.
- Ability to drive to the core of complex issues and provide insightful and constructive feedback.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus
Adolfson & Peterson Construction’s (AP) ability to adapt and innovate has driven our success for more than 75 years. We are consistently ranked among the top construction managers and general contractors in the nation while maintaining one of the safest records in the industry. We bring positive and measurable change to the communities where we live, work and build. And we invest in new processes and technology to be operationally excellent and remain at the forefront of the ever-changing industry.
We have been committed to quality, innovation, safety and strong relationships since our beginning in 1946. AP offers preconstruction, construction and contracting services to commercial, education, healthcare, hospitality, industrial, multifamily, municipal, data center, and senior living markets with offices across Arizona, Colorado, Minnesota, Texas, and Wyoming. We employ more than 650 team members who strive for excellence and embody loyalty, trust and genuine love for what they do.
We go beyond the build for our communities and our people.
Adolfson & Peterson Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer