The City of Canton, South Dakota is seeking candidates for a full-time School Resource Officer.
Primary Duties Consist of the following:
School Resource Officer (SRO)
- Provide law enforcement and police services to the school, school grounds and areas adjacent to the school. Investigate allegations of criminal incidents per police department policies and procedures. Enforce state and local laws and ordinances. Make appropriate referrals to juvenile authorities or other governmental agencies.
- Work to prevent juvenile delinquency through close contact and positive relationships with students. In addition the SRO shall develop crime prevention programs and conduct security inspections to deter criminal or delinquent activities. The SRO should monitor crime statistics and work with local patrol officers and students together to design crime prevention strategies
- Establish and maintain a close partnership with school administrators in order to provide for a safe school environment. Assist school officials with their efforts to enforce Board of Education policies and procedures.
- Ensure school administrator safety by being present during school searches, which may involve weapons, controlled dangerous substances or in such cases that, the student’s emotional state may present a risk to the administrator.
- Assist school administrators in emergency crisis planning and building security matters. Provide a course of training for school personnel in handling crisis situations, which may arise at the school.
- Be visible within the school community. Attend and participate in school functions. Build working relationships with the school’s staff as well as with student and parent groups.
- Develop and implement classes in law related education to support the educational efforts of the faculty. Work closely with teachers in designing and presenting law-related topics and the role of police in our society.
- Work with guidance counselors and other student support staff to assist students and to provide services to students involved in situations where referrals to service agencies are necessary. Assist in conflict resolution efforts.
- Initiate interaction with students in the classroom and general areas of the school building. Promote the profession of police officer and be a positive role model. Increase the visibility and accessibility of police to the school community.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
Education and Work Experience
- AA/AS in Public Safety, or related field is preferred
- Three to four years of law enforcement experience with advanced law enforcement training required
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Must be proficient with firearms, police communications equipment, and other law enforcement equipment typically used in department activities (video equipment, photography equipment, RADAR, handcuffs, evidence preservation and collection equipment), or able to become proficient in a timely manner
- Must be proficient with office technology and able to effectively use a variety of applications including Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, e-mail and internet.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, including speaking and presentation skills, required
- Must have excellent organizational skills, as well as creativity and problem-solving skills
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to adapt to various situations and people
- Wide variety of physical activity required, including office activities, driving, extended periods of sitting, standing or walking, occasional situations requiring high degree of stress and physical exertion; heavy lifting as when rendering aid to an unresponsive person, physical force as when detaining a suspect
- Will work inside and outside in all types of weather; irregular hours; in light and dark situation
- Position requires daily driving; valid driver’s license; safe driving record
Base starting pay is $25.25/hour if you are not certified or $27.53/hour if you are certified, PLUS great benefits!
- Health Insurance through Wellmark BC/BS - 100% paid for employee and 50% paid for dependents
- HSA Contribution
- Vacation & Sick Leave
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Participation in the South Dakota Retirement System
Apply on-line or via email to Alicia Riniker email@example.com
Call 605-987-2881 if you have questions
Position to remain open until filled