The City of Canton, South Dakota is seeking to expand the team with qualified candidates for full-time Police Officer performing general police work in the enforcement of federal and state laws and City ordinances, responding to calls and emergencies, renders aid where needed, and investigating violations of the law.
Here's what you'll get to do!
- Conduct routine patrols, including enforcing traffic laws and maintaining visibility within the community
- Respond to emergency and non-emergency calls for assistance, including medical emergencies, civil disputes, domestic violence, lost or stolen property, animal problems, etc.
- Enforce traffic laws, including speed limits, seatbelt use, reckless driving and DUI detection; respond to accident calls and citizen complaints
- Locate and arrest violators of state and local laws as directed; issue citations or take violators to jail as appropriate
- Prepare reports: provide a detailed narrative of arrests, with supplementary information for the State’s Attorney’s Office (arrest reports, information reports, arrest warrants, affidavits, etc.)
- Testify in court as needed, including grand jury, preliminary hearings, adjudication hearings, court trials and jury trials
- Assist with community events, including bike rodeo, gift drive, fishing derby, community expo
- Interact with general public, including speaking at schools, community groups, with media, etc.
- Assist other law enforcement agencies with cooperative aid as needed
- Attend training as required
Here's what you'll need!
- High School Diploma required; Associates Degree Preferred
- Must have, or be able to obtain, South Dakota law enforcement certification
- Previous law enforcement experience preferred
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Must be proficient with firearms, police communications equipment, and other law enforcement equipment typically used in department activities (video equipment, photography equipment, RADAR, handcuffs, evidence preservation and collection equipment), or able to become proficient in a timely manner
- Should be proficient with office equipment and technology in order to maintain records and prepare reports
- Should have strong written and verbal skills, including speaking and listening skills
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to adapt to various situations and people
- Wide variety of physical activity required, including office activities, driving, extended periods of sitting, standing or walking, occasional situations requiring high degree of stress and physical exertion; heaving lifting as well as when rendering aid to an unresponsive person, physical force as when detaining a suspect
- Will work inside and outside in all types of weather; irregular hours; in light and dark situations
- Position requires daily driving; valid driver's license; safe driving record
- Certification under the South Dakota Law Enforcement Standards and Training Act
Base starting pay is $25.25/hour if you are not certified or $27.53/hour if you are certified, PLUS great benefits!
- Health Insurance through Wellmark BC/BS - 100% paid for employee and 50% paid for dependents
- HSA Contribution
- Vacation & Sick Leave
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Participation in the South Dakota Retirement System
- 12 hour shift schedule
Apply on-line or via email to Alicia Riniker email@example.com
Call 605-987-2881 if you have questions
Position to remain open until filled