Paulding Putnam is seeking an experienced, ethical leader to join the organization as Chief Financial Officer.
Summary of Position:
Advises and supports the President/CEO on matters concerning general management, competitive positioning, and operation of Cooperative services. Provides leadership to the Cooperative’s managers on matters relating to vison, strategic plan and the general financial operations of the Cooperative. Support internal communication to promote the Cooperative’s mission and good morale. Fosters internal and external relationships to promote the image and competitive position of the Cooperative.
Work effectively as an employee of Paulding Putnam and maintain good job behavior.
- Must be supportive of Cooperative business concepts and principals.
- Must be of high integrity, dependable and professional.
- Punctual and conscientious about work hours and perform overtime when requested. Communicate with supervisor when unable to work at the appointed time.
- Accept responsibility for the duties of your position. Work diligently toward complete accurate work assignments.
- Develop the necessary skills and knowledge to perform the duties of the position. Attend meetings and seminars as directed.
- Continually develop and recommend more efficient and effective ways of carrying out the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Review and abide by established policies and procedures of the Cooperative.
- Must have a high regard for the safety of themselves and others. Promote safety in every activity and attend scheduled safety meetings as directed. Become familiar with and abide by the PPEC safety rules and procedures.
- Must have the desire to work as part of a team and contribute to the high morale in the organization. Promote teamwork through communication and cooperation. Treat co-workers in a professional manner and consider the opinions and personal needs of others.
- Accept and adapt positively to changes in your position and within the Cooperative. Develop a commitment to accept ongoing change.
- Be a positive influence within and outside the Cooperative.
- Support the Cooperative’s mission by staying current with information to cultivate and positively project the Cooperative’s philosophy.
- Prepares and directs preparation of financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, annual budgets, and reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Responds to cooperative member needs and questions regarding accounting and financial related matters.
- Monitors the financial reporting system for the association with proper internal controls and standards to safeguard company assets; ensures that financial information is accurate and timely.
- Monitor and evaluate financial trends and projections for the organization.
- Maintains current knowledge of associational policies and procedures, federal and state policies and directives, and current accounting standards.
- Collaborates with the CEO in setting and driving organizational vision, operational strategy, and hiring needs.
- Oversee company financial operations and employee productivity, building a highly inclusive culture ensuring team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met.
- Adheres to company, federal, state, and local business requirements, enforcing compliance and acting when necessary to mitigate risk.
- Translates strategy into actionable goals for performance and growth helping to implement organization-wide goal setting, performance management, and annual operating planning.
- Assists and participates in the review, design and interpretation of the Cooperatives electric rates.
- Supervises preparation of O&M budget.
- Supervises wholesale power billing activities.
- Communicates with financial institutions (RUS, CFC, FFB, etc.) concerning debt activities.
- Develop and maintain morale and credibility among the Cooperative employees.
- Participate in or conduct informational and educational meetings with Cooperative employees.
- Prepare reports required by the Board of Directors and/or President/CEO.
- Counsel subordinates on their work and work-related issues.
- Interpret policy and procedures for subordinates.
- Attend and participate in professional and industry meetings, workshops and seminars to share and gain knowledge and information.
- Furnishes the President/CEO with adequate, periodical reports to indicate progress. Plan and carry out special projects as directed and approved by the CEO.
- Evaluate training needs of employees and provide opportunities for continuing education.
- Continually assess performance by giving and receiving feedback in a timely manner. Conduct an annual performance evaluation.
- Maintains oversight in the areas of purchasing, accounting, marketing/communications, and member services. Ensures direct reports are operating in accordance with prudent utility practice, state/federal law, and within the cooperative’s policies and procedures.
- Lead role in hiring employees with guidance from the human resources department.
Other Essential Functions:
- Actively participate in community and civic activities using every opportunity to promote support for the cooperative’s objectives, plan and programs
- Provide support during major outages by assisting in any manner necessary as prescribed in the Emergency Plan.
- Exercise professional courteous conduct in dealing with the members, employees, and general public.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment by adhering to policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Serve as the main contact for all audits of financial, tax and payroll records and review all reports required by lenders and taxing authorities.
- Create a culture that focuses on operational agility. Inspire and persuade others to follow direction, pursue and achieve goals, and adopt new positions.
- Facilitate and lead personnel through change. Leads by example. Promotes the values of trust and integrity throughout the organization.
- Subject to random drug and alcohol testing consistent with Paulding Putnam Electric policies.
- Performs such other duties as directed by the President/CEO
Reports to: President/CEO
Supervises and Directs work of: Accounting and Member Services Managers
External relationships: Employees, Members, General Public, Insurance Providers and Outside Auditors.
Education and Experience:
- A four-year college degree in Business Management, Finance, Accounting, or a related field is required. MBA designation is preferred.
- CPA License preferred.
- Seven to ten years’ experience in accounting and/or finance, preferably within the electric utility industry. Four years supervisory experience required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Must be able to communicate well both verbally and in writing. Effectively convey and share information and ideas with others. Listen carefully and understand various viewpoints. Present ideas clearly and concisely and understand relevant detail in presented information.
- Must be able to operate computers and various software programs proficiently.
- Works together with others and helps others to work cooperatively to accomplish goals/objectives.
- Must be able to determine priorities, organize work schedules and direct people effectively.
- Must be able to provide effective leadership, motivate and develop the skills of those persons supervised.
- Must be able to handle pressure of meeting multiple deadlines.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding PPEC proprietary information and other department information.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be physically able to function in the position.
- The majority of the time will be in a climate-controlled office.
- Individual should be able to handle occasional high-pressure situations.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must work well individually and with others from various backgrounds, philosophies and experiences.
- Attend meetings as requested or assigned including overnight travel.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Definition of frequency examples:
- Frequently – Every day to once a week occurrence.
- Occasionally – Less than once a week or seasonal occurrence.
- Not Applicable – Not likely to happen.
Physical Demands Required To Perform Duties:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS FREQUENCY EXAMPLES
Lifting, Carrying Occasionally
Twisting, Pushing, Pulling Not Applicable
Climbing, Balancing Not Applicable
Kneeling, Crawling Not Applicable
Visual Ability Frequently
Bending Not Applicable
Gripping, Grasping Not Applicable
Other Physical Demands Frequently
WORKING CONDITIONS FREQUENCY EXAMPLES
Exposure to Outdoor Conditions Occasionally
Low Visibility Not Applicable
Extreme Noise Not Applicable
Moving Parts Not Applicable
Electric Shock Not Applicable
High, Exposed Places Not Applicable
Radiant Energy Not Applicable
Exposure to Chemicals Not Applicable
Vehicular Traffic Occasionally
CRT Screens Not Applicable
Slippery Conditions Occasionally
Other Environmental Conditions Occasionally